Compartments

We live our life in compartments.

You might be wondering what am I saying. The only compartments that you might have heard till now could possibly be the train compartments. But let us see if there is an element of truth in my earlier statement.

To start with, what is a compartment?

Going by the dictionary, a compartment is a space into which an area is subdivided. It is a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area.
Compartments
If our life is this area, the small spaces or sections that we create in our lives, either intentionally or unintentionally, are the compartments.

Let's consider some of the qualities we have - like being an introvert or an extrovert. An extrovert is a sociable and an outgoing person. On the other hand, an introvert is someone who doesn't like frequent social contacts. 

To consider my example itself, in some spheres of my life, I'm an introvert. I keep to myself. I turn my thoughts inwards. In some other facets of my life, I'm an extrovert. I'm outgoing and social in such cases.

Introvert Or Extrovert
These two ideas are contradictory in themselves. Yet they exist together, within me. It is because I live my lives in compartments.

And there is a matter of perception. While the world might perceive you to be an introvert, you might be an extrovert. After all, you might be wearing a mask.

Here are some words from the star actor - Gerard Butler.

==
I know I have within myself… a side of solitude. I think people who know me can see, but people who just meet me can’t because I’m generally very fun and gregarious. But I love to spend a lot of time on my own. I can seriously go into my own head and often love to let myself travel where I don’t know where I’m going.
==

Moving onto some other qualities. Let us consider "confidence". Since childhood, teachers and parents would have told you - "Be confident. Do not be over-confident."

For a moment, think about the last thing where you showcased confidence. In these moments, the self belief would have helped you with your task. 

Now think about the last time when you were horribly unconfident. You must have found yourself a nervous wreck in such situations.

Unconfident Confidence
And in such trying circumstances, a thought runs through my your mind - why am I confident in some situation while lacking the confidence in other cases? I have found myself in such a quandary many a times.

Well, in some cases, it has to do with the situation at hand. A situation which you have experienced many a times doesnt give you the jitters. Yet a new situation, does send shivers down your spine. 

However, you could have seen experienced situations many a times, yet you feel unconfident. While in others, you posses amazing self confidence. What is the reason for such a behavior? The answer is compartments.

Let us take an recent example - that of Barack Obama - in the context of killing of Osama Bin Laden. Osama was killed on the night of 2nd to 3rd May 2011, at the orders of the President of the USA - Barack Obama.

Obama had several discussions on this matter in the last one month with his top team. He reviewed the plan and signed the order to take out Osama.

He had to take a decision on the plan to be chosen to kill Osama. He slept over the options for a night and gave his decision the next morning.

Now, this was not the only thing which Obama did for the last one month. He executed his other tasks with equal zest. He talked with his wife everyday and every night. He played with his children daily.

Barack Obama Compartmentalization
Yet, he didn't tell them about the impending operation. He went about with a sober face in all his public meetings, never giving away a clue of the most audacious operation being planned. 

Simply speaking, he compartmentalized his life. Read more here.

Let's consider about something more personal.

Did someone give you a feedback that your behavior is quite childish, or immature? And did someone else tell you that you exhibit qualities making you look more mature than your age?

And did some one tell you that you were selfish, while someone else praised you for being so selfless?
Selfish Or Selfless
Well, someone I know closely recently confided in me that it does happen regularly to him. He was surprised. He wondered what was his real self. I didn't even bat an eyelid.

As a child, you might have heard about the story of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. The book discussed about a concept of split personality through the eyes of a man who showcased two distinct personalities. This was an extreme case of compartmentalization of life.

Dr Jekyl Mr Hyde Split Personality
Then you have the eternal qualities - of love and hate. Often we find ourselves loving someone, and hating someone else. Or sometimes, loving a person in one situation while detesting or hating that person in other situations.

And you will also have certain spheres of your life about which you are happy. While in other facets, you are not that happy, or even sad. All of this has to living our lives in compartments.

There will be several such instances where we live our life in compartments. In a few cases, it is quite evident and we notice it easily. In other cases, it is not so evident and just escapes our eye.

I personally think that there is nothing wrong in living our lives in compartments. Yet, we should be aware of such things - our inner self. And should let one compartment help the other.

==
P.S. This topic has been buzzing in my mind for the last six months. Thankfully, I was able to put those randoms thoughts into a cohesive post today.
==
Compartments Compartments Reviewed by Vyankatesh on Sunday, May 22, 2011 Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. Writer such a good write -up ! I just knew it now , we have compartments . I can relate with what you're saying
    an introvert but also having an extrovert qualities ,funny but it happened and it's a reality.

    ReplyDelete